Monday, January 14, 2013

Handkerchief

Part two of Challenge Me Monday!

Handkerchief was the word chosen by Xara X. Xanakas. 


"Dad!” cried Ragean.

 I ran as fast as my wobbly legs could carry me. She buried her head in my chest and wept hysterically. I tried to make out the jumbled mess of words she tried to form, it was pointless. I wanted to console her by telling her Drew would be okay, I just couldn’t bring myself to lie. The cautionary words of Judd Callahan pierced my brain again. I couldn't bring myself to utter those same words to my daughter. She needed her father to be strong right now.

On the drive over, I begged, bargained, and pleaded with God to save Drew. Drew had his whole life before him, it just seems so wrong to have his life cut short. How does a parent ever imagine their life without their child? I couldn’t picture my life without Drew in it. We might not have the most solid relationship, as long as he was alive, I could handle anything else.

Raegan finally started to calm down. I untangled her from my chest, “Where’s your mom?” I asked.
Her brown eyes swam in tears, “She went to ask the nurses if they had any news.” As if saying the world brought the situation back to life, she burst out in tears. I guided her to the hard plastic waiting room chairs. The smell of hospital cleanliness was strong. The off white walls seemed to close in around us.

“Raegan, honey, do you think you can tell me what happened?” I asked quietly.

I watched as she squared her shoulders, almost like she was mentally and physically pulling herself back together, “Drew and Jessie were going out to celebrate their signing with a group of friends." I put my hand on her leg to stop her.

“Who was in the car?” I was so distraught; I never once thought to ask about possible passengers in the car. My heart began to leap in my throat. So many lives could be changed tonight. The possibility was sickening.

“Jessie and Drew were riding together. The other guys were meeting them there. One of the baseball players, Mike Duvall lives out on Payson Farms. His parents were throwing a bomb fire for the senior players,” she said getting off track.

“So Jessie and Drew were driving to the farm?” I asked trying to steer the conversation.

“Yeah, Jessie was driving,” she whispered. I put my hand on her leg in comfort and waited for her to continue. “We don’t know for sure what happened, but Jess ran off the road and hit a tree. Jessie was wearing his seat belt and had to be cut from the car. Drew wasn’t wearing his seat belt and was thrown from the car.”

“Why the hell wasn’t he wearing his seat belt?” I asked. I could hear the anger in my own voice. I was the one who taught the kids to drive. Rule number one: The car does not move unless everyone has on their seat belt.

“I don’t know, dad.”

“We’ll just have to ask him when he gets out of surgery,” I said.

I sat back with my arm around Raegan. She had stopped crying, I think we both needed the added comfort. I stared at the boob-tube, not really caring what was on. The mindless infomercial brought relief.

Raegan jumped to her feet when Christine entered the waiting room. “Did you find out anything?” she asked.

Christine stared at me. Her blue eyes were piercing with pain. I got up and walked to her without speaking. She was once my wife, we knew one another. I tried not to be hurt when she flinched as I hugged her. After a while, she balled my shirt in her hands. “We can’t lose him,” she cried softly.

“We won’t,” I said. Please God, don’t let me be wrong I prayed.

When she had her emotions somewhat under control, she stepped back taking Raegan in her arms. 

“The nurse said the surgeon would be out soon to talk to us.”

I crossed my arms, rubbing my hands up and down trying to push away the goose bumps dancing on my cool bared arms.

I tried not to be hurt by the fact that I was just finding out that my only son had signed his letter of intent. Later, I could deal with that later. Right now, I just wanted to hold on the good memories I had with Drew.

I could easily close my eyes and picture his first day of t-ball practice. He stood in the outfield, his brown glove and hat two sizes too. Unlike the other children around him, Drew paid close attention to what the coach had to say. Every move, every detail did not go unnoticed by him.

On our way home, we stopped to get ice cream, where Drew announced that he would one day be a famous baseball player. Just like that, he was hooked.

It was the sound of Christine digging through her purse, which brought me out of memory lane. "I know I have a bag of tissues or a handkerchief in here somewhere," she said.

When the doctor walked into the waiting room, we all jumped up at once. Every hope and prayer said in the past two hours came down to this moment. Whatever this doctor had to say, I knew it would change my family's life.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dunn?" he asked. Nodding, neither Christine nor I corrected him. He didn't need to know we were divorced.

"I'm Dr. Woodall. Your son has been in my care since he arrived. Drew came to us with sever blood loss. In order to stop the bleeding, we had to remove your son's legs."

Remove your son's legs. Those words bounced around my brain like a ping pong being smacked back and forth.

I could see Dr. Woodall's mouth still moving, but nothing was penetrating my brain. "Is he going to live?" I yelled, mostly trying to clear my mind.

"He's no longer losing blood, which was our main concern. He still has several obstacles to overcome. Everything will be touch and go from here on out."

Please feel free to leave next week's challenge words at the end of either Challenge Me Monday posts. I will combined words from both post if necessary. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment