Monday, January 14, 2013

Poltergeist

Last week, I started a new blog theme event on Monday's called, Challenge Me Mondays. Where anyone can leave a word to help me with a current WIP. After randomly selecting a winner, I would have a week to write 1k using the wining word. 

Two words were left last week. Instead of picking one word, I chose to keep them both. So up first we have Poltergeist, left by Casey Cox...because she is evil;)

I chose my father/son story, currently titled Running on Empty. I have to warn you, I cut the sex scene because if I left it in, then you, the reader would be lost on what takes place in the next chapter, which happens to my the next CMM word winner. Sorry:)

"Ashland Park Community Trust Bank, This is Adam Dunn, how may I help you?" 

"Oh, I can think of several ways you can help me today, Mr. Dunn."

"Is that right, sir? Please do tell. I'm all ears."

"It's not your ears I want Mr. Dunn." 

Haden's laughter made me want to pack up and head home early. Glancing at the clock, I wanted to groan at the slow moving hands. "I'll be leaving here in about an hour and then you can have any part of my body you wish."

"Promise?" he said nearly purring.

"Absolutely."

"Actually, I just wanted to remind you that tonight's your Friday, so please don't forget dinner. I'm starved!"

"Haden, I haven't forgotten. I always look forward to date night. I'll pick up Chinese food on the way home."

"I can't wait to see you, drive safe."

"I always do," I said hanging up.

As an ER nurse, Haden's job doesn't always allow him to leave in time for dinner every night. Unlike other couples, our weekly date nights are spent at home. We take turns bringing home take out, as the other picks out a Netflix film and we snuggle in for the evening. 

I don't know if Haden has any clue how much I looked forward to our Friday's. After my divorce, I swore, I would never again be in a relationship where I couldn't be my true self. Christine, on a best day, allowed me a few minutes just holding her in arms before she would think of something else that needed her attention more. I needed the comfort, but I also think our relationship needed it more. It wasn't the main reason our marriage ended, but for me it ranked high on our failure list. 

It wasn't as if our choice of film set the mood. Case in point, tonight's flick was 1982's classic, Poltergeist. Just spending time together meant everything to me.

I rushed to power down my computer and cram my belonging in my briefcase. Anyone wanting a loan could wait until Monday morning. 

When I pulled into our driveway, I grabbed our square boxes of bliss and jetted for the door. Leaving behind my briefcase and cell, since work and phone were banned on date nights. 

Hearing pots and pans clang around the kitchen, I headed to find Haden. When I finally laid eyes on him, I stopped mid step. My heart began to gallop like a race horse and my mouth watered. Haden was bent over in search of something with his amazing bare ass sticking in the air. 

"That," I started, "is one hell of a welcome home greeting."

Whipping around grasping his chest Haden let out a loud screech. Again for the second time within seconds, my mind was wiped completely of its thought. Haden wasn't entirely naked. Instead, he stood in our kitchen wearing only a black apron with, 'My Meat is Hand Rubbed' in red lettering. 

The take out bag slipped from my fingers, making a loud thud. 

"I wanted to make dessert," he said weakly. 

Devouring the distance between us quickly, our mouths found one another in a rough tangle of passion. At first, I wondered if I was being too rough. The pleading sounds and the strong grip on my shoulders, pulling me closer, made my head swim. It was the green light I needed to continue. He soon slowed our kiss, making it more sensual. When we finally pulled away we were both panting. Haden's eyes were the brightest blue I had ever seen. Love, joy, and contentment shined back at me. 

"Don't you dare stop," he said, resting his head in the crook of my neck.

I lifted him off the ground, his legs easily wrapping around my waist. Haden's eyebrows lifting as he pondered my next move. His eyes never left my own as I carried him to our room. 

<<Sex Scene>>

"No one has ever carried me to bed before," Haden said around a mouthful of reheated fried rice.

"Next time we will have to remember to turn off the stove before getting carried away."

"For sex like that, I would burn dessert every night," he chuckled. 

I glanced at the burn pan in the sink and winced. There wasn't enough S.O.S. pads in the world to bring that thing back to life. "We'll need to take stock in Tupperware," I laughed.

As Haden finished his meal, I started to clean up before loading the movie. A loud knock on the door startled us both.

"I'll get it." Haden said, getting to his feet. "Thank goodness we decided to put clothes on."

I could tell by the deep voice, that our visitor was male, but couldn't hear what was being said. 

"Did you tell them we don't want any?" I asked without looking up.

"Adam," Haden said softly, as if he was in pain grabbed my attention. 

Haden had come back to the kitchen followed closely by Officer Judd Callahan. Judd and I had gone to high school together long before he joined the police force.

"Hey Callahan, if you are here about the vandalism charges, we won't be pressing any charges. It seems my son is still a little ticked off about his father's new path in life."

"Adam, I'm not here about the charges. I tried calling, but your phone kept going over to voice mail."

"Honey, it's Drew," Haden said quietly.

What was Drew? I studied Haden and Callahan's worried faces before it finally registered. Drew was hurt.

"Is he?" I couldn't bring myself to ask the question. There was no way my son was dead. I would know. Wouldn't I?

"Why don't you sit down," Haden said, guiding me to the dining room chairs.

"What happened?" I finally mumbled.

"About an hour ago a call came in to dispatch. The woman said she could see the taillights from the road, but that the car had traveled at least twenty yards into the field.  She didn't realize how bad the accident was until she walked out to the car." Callahan stopped his story and knelt down in front of me, eye level.

"I'm going to be honest with you here, Adam. In the twenty years I've been a police officer, I have never seen anything like this before. I think you should prepare yourself for the worst case scenario here."

2 comments:

Casey K Cox said...

Nicely saved :P

Summer said...

Hahaha! That was not easy! I was thinking of putting Poltergeist in a vamp WIP. It's not a word I use often:)

Post a Comment