Monday, May 14, 2012

Beautiful Boy


This weeks Playlist Monday is a little different. On Facebook, one of the authors I follow shared this video. After watching it, I couldn't do anything but cry. In the video, Shane Bitney Crone shares his life and the death of his partner Tom Bridegroom. To watch Shane cry for his soon to be husband was really hard. I told my husband later that we are so lucky to have rights as man and wife. It made me so mad to see Shane not have those same rights. To not be able to hold your loved one is more painful than anything I could imagine, but not being able to attend his funeral, to say to the world that our love mattered is more than anyone should have to face. The life and love that Shane and Tom created was beautiful. They created a business together, a loving home for their dog, and a place where they both felt supported. How is that by any means of the imagination ugly? How can anyone say that these men shouldn't have the same rights as straight couples? Why? After watching this video, Shane and Tom stuck with me the rest of the day. I couldn't get their love out of my mind or heart. You guys know how big I am on tackle hugging...I wanted to tackle hug the ever-loving tar out of Shane. 

So I thought to myself, if this man could share his story no matter how hard it was, I could support him. I live in a state where both of my Senators are Republicans. I emailed them both and asked how they would feel if there son was Shane. How would they fight for Shane? Would they turn their backs on their son? Would they use their position of power to say Shane mattered? I challenged them both to look inside their hearts to see supporting gay marriage wasn't a political decision, but a human right. 

I don't personally know Shane. Never talked to him before in my life, but what I will say is that Shane and Tom's life touched me. The love they shared mattered and still matters. 

Here is Shane's touching video.



 Find your Senator and leave a message!

0 comments:

Post a Comment