Friday, February 17, 2012

Xara X. Xanakas

Author Spotlight



This week's author spotlight shines on the witty Xara X. Xanakas. 


Xara X. Xanakas decided years ago to embrace her weirdness. A friend first described her that way to the man who’s been her husband for over twenty years. That formula fits her, and she figures if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Being Texan, her crush on cowboys comes natural, but the techie in her loves to show nerds a good time. She relishes all things different, and brings saucy style to her writing. Whether wrangling a wayward ranch hand or adding another critter to her were-menagerie, Xara strives to make the outlandish appealing. She’ll make you quirk a brow and snort with laughter, and that’s all right by her. Xara believes that unique is best and happily ever after is the icing on the cookies. 


One of the first things I learned about Xara, is that she hates talking about herself. So of course I asked the self proclaim turtle to poke her head out of her shell for a  few questions.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? What do you do when you are not writing?


When I’m not writing, I’m usually surfing the web, getting caught in The Shiny. Wait - that’s research. I’m usually researching. (You bought that, right?)



Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?



My mom got me my first library card when I was three. It’s all been downhill from there, I’d say. When I started reading Stephen King in junior high, that probably sealed my fate. He’s probably responsible for my twisted sense of humor. 





A writer's system for beginning a new story is just as diverse as the writer's themselves. Xara's Muse...Spunky as she likes to call him often leads her in many directions.

Do you work with an outline, or just write?


Most of the time, I'm a pantser. A thread of an idea will pop up, and I have to follow it. Sometimes I can outline the whole story, but it usually changes as I'm typing. I have one I outlined, but the characters decided to veer off course as I got into the story.


Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?


My muse, Spunky, doesn’t seem to think that way. He pushes me to start thinking “why not ...” and “what if ...” and it grows from there. And I’m simple-minded enough that I follow his lead. It’s open season on all my characters. Even when I think I’ve written a standalone story, Spunky will pop up and say “you know that is something Whiner would say ...” or “that belt buckle would make Razor < SPOILER REMOVED ;) >...”.





What has been your favorite character to write and why?

Jeepers, that's tough. The current one is usually my favorite. And just when I think I can move on to a new one, one of the others will pop up and make me write something about him. I do love the tall, dark, and scowly boys though, getting to their gooey centers. And my tool of choice for breaking those shells is a geek. Or someone they would never expect to sneak in and steal their hearts. Someone who is a match for their wills. With a heaping helping of snark, of course.







 Razor's Cut published by Less Than Three Publishing is the latest in Xara's tales to hit the shelves.



Tell us about Razor! What can we expect from his story?


Honestly, Razor is kind of a dick. He's lonely and bitter, but it's his own doing. And he knows that, so it makes it worse for him. He’s always trolling for a good time, but he’s about to find out what happens when the prey turns the tables on the hunter.


Here's the blurb for Razor's Cut!

Playing a show on Valentine’s Day, Razor isn’t looking for anything more than a one night stand when he cruises the crowd during the show. When he hits the alleyway to meet up with a promising pretty boy, what finds him instead leaves Razor badly wanting an encore. Too bad he has no idea who the man was.




What project are you working on now?

What am I not working on seems more like it. Spunky's a mess. He leaves me plot bunnies all over the place. There’s editing for Bennie’s Wish and Monkey Wrench, both coming from Dreamspinner this year, and I’m co-writing a couple of stories with Piper Vaughn right now. In between, I’ve been working on a Big SciFi Cyborg story. Which will probably turn into a series, because I do love playing with my boys. And boys with gadgets? Oh, yeah. I’m so there.




Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?


Uh, hi? And thank you. I am humbled and amazed that people take the time to read anything I've put out, and I truly appreciate all the comments they leave. Even the not so flattering ones. Everything is a growth opportunity.




Xara can be found on or stalked via her websitetwitterfacebook, or GoodReads. Her other works also include:




Purchase Here

Purchase Here
Purchase Here




I would like to thank Xara for coming over and allowing us a glimpse into her life, mind, and heart.






0 comments:

Post a Comment